Monday, July 9, 2012

Cyanotypes at MOCA


I tried the Sunday Studio art class at MOCA Los Angeles last weekend. They have a tour of the exhibit and then a hands-on art project that compliments the exhibit for MOCA members. For the current show at the Geffen, LAND ART, we had an interesting tour followed by making cyanotypes. I hadn't made one since I was young so this was a fun project.

It has a few simple steps:
1. I chose some objects - tree needles, and crystals.
2. I made a drawing with dark black grease pencil (or sharpie marker) onto clear acetate.
3. I laid a glass panel down, then my sun print paper, then the needles and drawing, then the 2nd glass panel, and then the crystals on top (they won't blow away so heavy objects can go on top).

You can get sunprint paper here (http://www.amazon.com/TEDCO-Sun-Art-Paper-8x10/dp/B003JJBLC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341858564&sr=8-1&keywords=cyanotype+paper)

4. Then I laid the whole thing in the sun for about 5-10 minutes. The longer you leave it, the darker you get.
5. Then I washed off the paper in a water bath and held to dry. I originally hung it up but I didn't want the paper to wrinkle so decided to carry it around with me when I went back into the museum.

I am going to have to get some paper myself and make more of these at home!

Here are some photos of my art piece...


No comments:

Post a Comment